How to identify and cook with Red Clover, The Great Detoxifier!
Sean’s Red Clover Griddle Cakes with Honey Yogurt
*Makes about 4 delicious, fresh 5-7” pancakes (very filling!)
1 cup chickpea flour
¼ tsp vanilla
1 tsp honey
1 cup water
Juice of 1 lemon
Rind of ¼ lemon, grated
Apx. ½ cup Red Clover flower petals, chopped/pulled from head
2-4 tbsp oil of choice, for frying
1. Start with the chickpea flour in a large bowl. Slowly add 1 beaten egg, followed by the vanilla, lemon juice and 1 cup of water, mixing thoroughly to avoid clumps. Mixture should be quite thin, not thick like a regular pancake batter. Once mixed, add the honey and mix well.
2. Wash the clover flowers well. Once washed, remove the stem and any leaves so you’re just left with the flowers. Discard any blossoms that are turning brown. Set the leaves and stems aside (or freeze them) to add to your next soup.
3. Remove the flower petals from the head. Chopping or pulling them both work. You want them to be like sprinkles, so smaller clumps of petals are ok but the more you can get off, the better. Add the petals and the grated lemon rind to the batter and mix well.
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of your favorite oil a large skillet (we used peanut oil) on medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add in apx. ¼ cup of batter and swirl to make a thin griddle cake. Cook apx. 4-5 minutes, or until it’s easy to flip and the underside is nicely browned. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side.
5. Remove from the skillet and allow to drain on a paper towel. Repeat until the batter is gone,
6. Top with honey yogurt* and a sliced ripe apricot. Enjoy!
3/4 cup of Balkan style (sour, thick, high-fat) yogurt
1 tbsp honey